Re: [Harp-L] Cotton question

I played a set with David Bromberg last summer at a blues festival right
before James Cotton's set last year...

Cotton did play through an SM58 into the PA.... he was outstanding and had
an awesomely tight band with him. James is one of those players whose sound you
 recognize immediately. He was one of the reasons I started to play - he gave
me  the impression of what I thought James Brown would sound like if he
played harp.

On the gig last summer he sat on a stool most of the set (it was one of
those hazy/hot/humid evenings where the sweat just pours off you), and played
great - but when he stood up, his energy level rose and he took off! Didn't do
any cartwheels or flips like back in the late 60's Superharp days with Matt
Murphy, but did a great show. His singing is suffering due to medical problems,
and seeing him off/back stage you could tell he wasn't taking very good care
of  his health, but he was very friendly with me... until a cute young lady
stopped  by to say hello, and hell, who can blame him, he focused his attention
on her.  He said, "yeah, my voice is gone, but old age hasn't stopped my
playin, or my  playin."

Cotton is on my list of all time must see musicians.

Andy Vincent