[Harp-L] Re: water lubing chroms

At 12:39 12/08/06 -0500, you wrote:
>G, thanks for sharing your many methods of lube for the slide
>mecahnism on your chromatic harmonica.
  Hi Eric,

>I do have two follow up questions:
>1.) Have you ever had a problem when applying water to lube the slide
>on your chrom - that the wooden comb behind swells?
  I hate wood combs.  But this isn't a problem if handled properly.
Note that the amount of water I'm talking about isn't much, a small dribble.
  Note also I have the instrument button pointing up, that I instruct to
work the slide, and having done that, draw gliss the water out before
starting.
I'm not putting it under a running tap after all.

>2.) Is the amount of water no different in amount of spit that gets
>in there while playing?
  No.  If you follow my method, the moisture in your mouth will exceed any
difference the remaining liquid will have.  I'd have more concerns about
any lubricant getting into the wood comb and myself for that matter.
  It's no different to sipping water from a glass during your performance
or practice.

>I just don't always feel right about introducing water and wood.
  It's far less of a problem than if you put oil in there!

>Thanks.
 My choice in lubricants was not a problem when I played wood comb
chromatics exclusively - moderate application is important.
  Water is the least of your worries if you compare it to vegetable oil,
teflon oil, or toxic lubricants getting into the wood.
  When you think about this and comparing lubricants to water, make sure
you're applying the same quantity of lubricant as water or vice versa.
Cheers,
-- G.
Harmonica repairs and customising,
http://harmonica.7p.com