To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2006 7:00 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] re: Iceman's editorial

The Iceman says this about Mr Cotton's tone:

"Anyone can do it. It's so easy you won't believe it, and that's the problem -
you WON'T believe it, therefore limiting your ability to do just that."

With due respect to Iceman, a stellar musician,--Cotton can do it because Sonny Boy Williamson II taught him how to play harp when Cotton was nine and by the time Cotton was just 13 or 14 Sonny left and Cotton took over the band. By fifteen he had toured the country with Howling Wolf and cut some singles for Sun Records.He spent 12 years with Muddy and Muddy was very picky about his harp players.Playing professionally for 60 years with the best in the business hones your chops just a little and being taught by one of the best harp players in the 20th Century doesn't hurt either. Cotton got his sound by decades of very hard work coupled by a bottomless well of talent.Very few people have ever been able to do what he does. I count myself lucky anytime I can hear a musician of his caliber.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm

Rainbow Jimmy http://www.spaceanimals.com http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm