[Harp-L] Re: Filisko video + Hartt

MN wrote, regarding the spastic blues singer in the Filisko video:

<<I am stunned. Is this in any way indicative of the club-level  "blues
talent" in Chicago these days!?>>

That's probably a rhetorical question but the answer is No. Most
emphatically No. This was filmed at a the Harlem Ave. Lounge, a popular west  side blues
club that hosts Joe's Old Town School recitals. The  "singer" in this video is
a strange sad guy who haunts this club  and is tolerated by the management
because he's a regular.

The Harlem is a very cool place that has an open jam on  Thursday nights
where every level of talent (or lack thereof) is made to  feel at home. It's
sometimes excruciating when you find yourself on the  stage with someone like this
fellow, but sometimes it goes with  the turf. This is one of the big reasons I
don't go to jams very often  though.

MN also wrote:

<< I recently visited  Chicago on business for a very quick trip and was
lamenting how there's not much  left but blues ghosts. But, Lord, I didn't know it
was THIS bad  .....>>

Trust me MN, it's not. Blues in general seems to be going through  one of
it's cyclical low points but there's still a strong blues presence in  Chicago.
Give me a shout next time you're in town and I'll prove it to  you.

On that note, I'm off to SPAH. Looks like there might be few decent blues
players there (if we can all get past the TSA!).

t. albanese