[Harp-L] Fire Breath and Pure Harps

Ola, 'L-ers!

I really should be packing all my sharp objects and liquids, but I just thought I ought to take a short break and pass this on...

On the German list, HarpChat, Steve Baker recently commented regarding the Fire Breath harp he just acquired, and became concerned when he apparently had a very adverse reaction, presumedly to the Rosewood comb [but, as we know, it might just as easily be the sealing finish applied.] Anyway, as he put it, he wondered if he was getting an asthma attack due to difficulty breathing.

He also wrote of having spent some time recently with William Galison at the Asian Pacific Harmonica Festival. It seems William told Steve about having once gotten a rosewood-combed chromatic from somewhere; didn't say where, and I only know of one, maybe two, places he might have obtained one. William related having loved playing it, but then, after some time, he began developing a severe breathing malady and was told, I 'gather' by a Doctor, [I have to BabelFish the German, sorry!] that he evidently was experiencing an allergic reaction to the rosewood. William quit playing harmonica for a time because of it. I seem to recall hearing about this awhile back, too, [also from William, I think,] but just that he had to quit playing for awhile due to illness, but not what sort.

Rosewood is not one of the friendlier woods to be sucking on, it seems, because some people develop a sensitivity to it over time, and outbreaks can be breathing difficulties or painful rashes. Usually, though, it comes from extended exposure to rosewood dust, as for woodworkers or people who lay rosewood flooring. I was wanting one of the new Suzuki harps, and hopefully, the comb's sealing substance guards against any dangers, but maybe I'll just wait awhile, or at least, not play it every waking hour every day if I do pick one up at SPAH!

There are sites on the Net about this problem, too. I just thought some of us here might want to be aware of the possible problems with the rosewood-bodied harmonicas.

Cheers! [... back to Packing!!!]

Bobbie