[Harp-L] rosewood

As I have actually mentioned on this list several times before, yes rosewood is potentially toxic. Some people will get contact reactions to it, others allergies. I doubt there is much of a way to predict this, except that if you are somewhat prone to allergies and asthma, it might be best to simply not even try an instrument with a rosewood comb.

While rosewood probably wouldn't be my first choice for a comb material, the likelihood of reaction is fairly small for any given person. Personally, I'd not use wood if I had the ability (as Suzuki does) of using precision injection-molded plastic combs. But, then, people would be complaining about the price because it's "just a plastic comb", not to mention the "warmth" of wood argument and all that.

Let's not overstate the dangers here. They do exist and are real, but for most people using rosewood combs and covers (sealed ones especially) will be perfectly safe. The best thing is to be informed and aware of the risks (and, as I said to begin with--I've pointed them out before). When I purchase one of these harps, I will be sure to watch out for signs of a reaction in the first week or so. If there is none, the likelihood is that there won't be one. Let's not panic over this the way people panic over lead.

Actually, having already played rosewood covered harps before, I am pretty sure that I will not react. However, I will also be aware of possible warning signs.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'