[Harp-L] tongue block music reading

The reason the list goes to sleep during SPAH week is that all the smart
people go to SPAH. We dummies are left at home.

I find lip pursing particularly useful for playing octaves and corner
switching.

Actually, the best diatonic harmonica is the Hohner Slide harp -- which is
the best of all worlds. It retains the Richter blues harp layout as well as the
bending capability all of us know on the Marine Band.

Plus, it offers the reach of a chromatic with the touch of a lever without
getting into the double C's -- blow pattern of CEGC CEGC that come with the solo
tuned chromatics.

PLus, it allow blow bending on all the lower octave notes just like on valved
Suzuki -- as well as the standard chromatic. Pretty slick. Plus, it''s a
little bit larger and thus louder than the standard small 10-hole.

Reading music -- combined with the knowledge of the harp layout and available
bent notes -- allows the player to glance at a lead sheet (melody line with
chords indicated, just like in the Fake Books) and tell right away if a
particular song is playable.   Sight reading -- playing at performance speed from
looking at the dots is another skill. Reading just well enough to hack through a
tune, at quarter speed, with the right timing and hitting all the right notes
is another.

Music notation is just another form of tablature -- once the player
understands that all the CEGs are blow notes and the others must be draw.