Fwd: [Harp-L] puckering, tongue blocking and speed

I sent this offlist by mistake when I meant to send it on-list only. I hate when that happens.

I wrote:

at any speed with either embouchure. Ie, puckering is not inherently faster than tb and tb is not inherently slower.

eric in miami wrote:

that's impossible.

name one or more tb players that can play nearly as fast or with the dexterity
as someone like jason ricci.

Just about every single traditional harmonica-band chromatic player. That's a few dozen. Beyond that, for diatonic I'd say DeFord Bailey could play just as fast (different style, but the speed is not any slower). That's off the top of my head. If I went through and found people there would be more.

No, it's not impossible. What does seem impossible is for people who are primarily used to playing pucker to imagine that what for them is usually a slower embouchure, tb, (for various reasons mostly due to comfort, IMO) can be trained to be just as fast.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'