[Harp-L] Mark Mummel blues harmonica melt down in Pittsburgh

Hi Folks,

I just got back from the Blues Harmonica Melt-Down here in Pittsburgh at the
Thunderbird Lounge.  Man, what a show!  Mark was first, followed by Portnoy,
a break, then Lee Oscar and Magic Dick.  Everybody was stellar.  The Blues
Survivors were a great band and the drummer in particular was just spot on.
If I had a guy who could play a shuffle like that behind me my harps would
play themselves.

I wanted to do an interview for the local blues society news letter but I
really didn't have time to prepare for it (this is busy time of year for me
with work) and I really didn't want to do that sort of thing unprepared.  I
did get a chance to talk to Portnoy and Hummel though - real nice guys.
Both said they played Marine Bands out off the shelf although Portnoy said
he had a couple of Feleskos in his case.  Both of these guys play through a
Bassman RI, each using their own mics.  Magic Dick played through a Meteor
and Lee Oscar played through all kinds of stuff, pedals and poxes and what
not.  Lee Oscar's playing was really nice and a nice break from the more
traditional Chicago and West Coast stuff the other guys played.  Jerry
Played a great rendition of "Misty" that really brought the house down as
well as a great cover of L.W.'s "Off the Wall".  Mark Hummel was quoting
Charlie Parker left and right.  Magic Dick was a real surprise for me.  I've
never been too big a fan of the J. Gails stuff but M.D. really impressed me
in this setting and he was very personable with the audience.

All in all it was a really wonderful show.  It was like Christmas morning
for me.  One thing that stood out for me was how their playing made me feel.
It made me feel like playing.  Each player seemed to confirm things for me
in my own playing and make me want to strive for the smoothness and
precision they had.  This is in contrast to how I felt when listening to
Jason Ricci play wherein I just don't hear much of a reflection of my own
playing sensibilities and Jason's technical wizardry seems unattainable.  Of
course every harp player in town was there - with their jaws on the floor!

Great show..

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh