Re: [Harp-L] Repair and tuning tools

On Aug 21, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Tim Moyer wrote:

There are lots of good sources for small tools besides the Lee Oskar
kit.  Micro Mark is a great one for small screwdrivers, nut drivers,
wrenches, files, pin vices and the like.  I don't know exactly what
kind of work you want to do, but a lot of stuff can be had even from
places like Harbor Freight.  I don't suggest using a steel tool
(like a paper clip) for adjusting gaps, because the hard metal can
scratch reeds.  That said, I sometimes use the backside of a curved
dental pick for that job.  Instead of the rather pricey sanding
wands and replacement belts, I like to use 400 grit emory paper cut
into 3/8" strips, wrapped around a piece of pencil eraser.  Cheap,
fast, and effective.  Brass pick tools can be hard to find, but I've
recently started making my own from 1/8" brass rod from Small Parts,
and a little time at the disk/belt sander and anvil.  Many thanks to
G in New Zealand for both the sample, and the advice on how to make
them.

-tim

Try this one Tim. Take 10-12 popsicle sticks, place them in a clamp, slather one set of edges with contact cement. Slam them down on a sheet of emory paper and place a weight on them. When they 'set' cut them apart with a razor blade. Keep trimming the tips on a 45 with nippers as they 'load up' with brass dust. Width is same as reeds, and one slip will last for many reeds.

smo-joe (too cheap to buy anything)