[Harp-L] Musicians' etiquette

The following is just one more example of a phenomenon that I have
encountered countless times over the years that has vexed me to no end:

I went to a bar Friday night to hear some live music. Every time the band,
being a pretty good cover band, played a blues or rock tune I got twitchy,
visualizing myself sitting in on harp (the band didn't have a harp player).
I learned years ago never to leave home without a couple harps in my pockets
(and the rest near enough in the car). When the band started in on Red House
my girlfriend had to hit me with the tranquilizer gun (without which she
never leaves home).

Another harp player I know, who had he been there, would have started
playing at his bar stool loudly for all to hear, expecting the band to wave
him up (he claims the usually do). Personally, I think that's tacky to say
the least.

Considering myself classier than that, I frequently go home unsatisfied.
There have been occasions where I got the nerve to introduce myself to the
band as a harp player during one of their breaks. Rarely they'll ask, "did
you bring your harps?" or "are you any good?" and let me sit in.  Other
times they look at me as though I just asked them if their daughter was for
sale.

All of which begs the question...is there a cool, unobtrusive way to ask to
sit in? How do some of you do it?

Thanks in advance,
- Guy