Re: [Harp-L] Musicians' etiquette

Considering myself classier than that, I frequently go home unsatisfied.
There have been occasions where I got the nerve to introduce myself to the
band as a harp player during one of their breaks. Rarely they'll ask, "did
you bring your harps?" or "are you any good?" and let me sit in.  Other
times they look at me as though I just asked them if their daughter was for
sale.

hhehhehehehe all I can remember now is john belucci in "blues brothers" in the fancy restaurant yelling "how much for the little girl?" :-D

All of which begs the question...is there a cool, unobtrusive way to ask to
sit in? How do some of you do it?

Well, with lots of discretion, I think ;-)

Try saying nice things first like "hey, you guys are amazing" ;-)

But be prepared to hear a "no" ;-) and if so, do not insist. They've
spent a lot of time training before go to the stage and they don't
want to take any risk with strangers saying that they can play. Many
harp players are amazing, but many don't...

my 2c

and yes, I like jams too ;-) but sometimes I screw things up too ;-)

[]

Kenji
http://kenjiria.blogspot.com
http://gaitabh.blogspot.com