Re: [Harp-L] Musicians' etiquette

1. If you are feel it with the band and you think they can make space
for you in the song ( this is really important. some people don't know
how to play with a harp player)
2. Approach one of the players on break, compliment on their sound.
3. Ask if they ever play with a harp player
4. Yes, No, whip out yours and play a nasty 3 sec lick.
5. See their reaction, if they are receptive offer to sit in if they
would be so kind
6. After one song, try to leave the stage but be prepared to be asked back.
7. Don't play more than 3 songs

On 8/22/06, James Sterett <jsterett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Guy,

I've actually gotten into several bands (or at least a regular welcomed guest spot) by asking them if I could sit in. I've never played off the band stand while a band is performing, like you, I feel that's tacky and kind of pushy. I've only employed the method of being straight forward, respectful and humble, telling the band/performer I play harmonica and ask to sit in on a number. Some have asked if I was confident, some have let me up without question, others have turned me down flat... having laid your cards on the table, you'll always go home a lot more satisfied regardless of how it turns out than if you don't ask at all. A wise man once told me "you'll never know what you're gonna get if you don't ask."

Jim.

>>> "Guy Buxman" <beabsurd@xxxxxxxxx> 8/22/2006 3:10:52 PM >>>
The following is just one more example of a phenomenon that I have
encountered countless times over the years that has vexed me to no end:

I went to a bar Friday night to hear some live music. Every time the band,
being a pretty good cover band, played a blues or rock tune I got twitchy,
visualizing myself sitting in on harp (the band didn't have a harp player).
I learned years ago never to leave home without a couple harps in my pockets
(and the rest near enough in the car). When the band started in on Red House
my girlfriend had to hit me with the tranquilizer gun (without which she
never leaves home).

Another harp player I know, who had he been there, would have started
playing at his bar stool loudly for all to hear, expecting the band to wave
him up (he claims the usually do). Personally, I think that's tacky to say
the least.

Considering myself classier than that, I frequently go home unsatisfied.
There have been occasions where I got the nerve to introduce myself to the
band as a harp player during one of their breaks. Rarely they'll ask, "did
you bring your harps?" or "are you any good?" and let me sit in.  Other
times they look at me as though I just asked them if their daughter was for
sale.

All of which begs the question...is there a cool, unobtrusive way to ask to
sit in? How do some of you do it?

Thanks in advance,
- Guy