Re: [Harp-L] Media Editorial - Denver news and video coverage

On Aug 22, 2006, at 2:47 PM, icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:

from Bill Hines:

<I think SPAH has to work more on the "A" letter
in it's acronym - advancement, rather than 'preservation'.>
"Can I hear an 'Amen, Brother'"?

*** A M E N

<PS - This is JUST my opinion, right or wrong, whether you agree or
disagree, they're like (well, you know) we all have one. So please don't
flame me or SPAH or go nuts with rage, but a well thought out discussion
of changes would probably be a good thing.>
Oy, don't get me started on that one.....
The Iceman
_
*** I'm in your corner Bill

I think we all have certain ideas of how SPAH should be run. My personal favorite is that no one gets more than 3 tunes at a time, AND during one of the tunes, the player does a duet with another player. This other player THEN becomes either the next player or the one after that. Everyone therefore eventually becomes everyone ELSE's guest at some point. AND, since I play both diatonic & chromatic, we mix this up TOO. ex: I start out with chromo, bring up a better diat player, who blows my socks off, I leave the stage dejected and the 'New' kid takes over the stage. We call it 'Smokey & the whippersnapper' On another occasion, a chromo player calls ME up and I do something TOTALLY different on diat. We call that one "(insert favorite chromo player) and the old man". Could be interesting?

Also, the fact that one player might be a neuclear missle while the guest may be merely an anti aircraft gun should have no bearing because the two will work together to compliment each other. THIS makes it almost family. Make it all relaxing. No pressure. No need to get a churning stomach. Music for the pure experience of music.

ed's note: The preservation part of spah shouldn't be pushed as hard as the advancement part. The old days are the old days, time marches on and it's time to go forward. Feature the stars of today and the upcoming hopefuls. Honor the older dudes, but don't DWELL on it.
jo-jo