Re: [Harp-L] Musicians' etiquette

I'm fortunate enough to see the subject of sitting in from two sides.

  First, as a bandless wanderer trying to learn and grow:

    I asked a few times when I was really young, but I got to a point when I felt it was rude to ask. Harps stay in the car unless it's a good friend who always gets me up.

   I often watch bands and just salivate to blow harp or sing with them.  Many times, it's because I feel I can help.  I like to try and show off a bit.  This is not a very good attitude to have. It's wrought with jealousy and insecurity.  I tell myself the following when I ache to sit in:

  "It's THEIR GIG.  They booked it, staffed it, showed up, promoted, practiced, dragged gear, made phone calls, rehearsed. . . etc."  Then, I say to myself, " If you want to be on stage, get your own gigs"   This helps to alleviate my want to play with every blues band I see.

  On the flip side, as a bandleader:

   I'm pretty much open to whatever in the 3rd set.  I like the idea of a "stalker" showing up at every gig. I've BEEN that guy.  Hey, if they buy drinks, they're not a stalker, they're a "fan".

  It's up to me, the leader to draw the line at sitting in.  If someone stinks, I won't invite them again.  It may be uncomfortable, but the audience comes first.  If I find a good player, and they want to play, I let it happen.  I don't get paid enough to limit the fun-factor of jamming with musicians. But that time will come, and I'll be more strict as needs be.

  Dan G.

  www.edbluepills.com
  www.jdbone.com