[Harp-L] FIreball and a Teacher Question

Dear List,

As a user of both the old and new Audix Fireballs, as well as various vintage mics (Bullet, Turner, etc.), I thought I'd jump in. I play in a band which requires both overdriven/crunchy (for some songs) and clean (for others). I run the Fireball through a Harp Commander with a line out to my amp (tube) which is mic'd into the PA. It's quite possible to get a reasonably good crunch out of the Fireball (especially with the upgraded "V" capsule) with this configuration (even without the HC compression), using amp gain and cupping. It's NOT the same as playing through one of my vintage mics, but it can be quite effective. For me the advantages of the Fireball are:

1. Versatility. I can get clean and crunchy tone out of a single mic (with some amp and pre-amp tweaking). This matters to me due to the band I play with but wouldn't be an issue for someone who is only playing blues.

2. Extremely low feedback. This makes a huge difference for me, as I have to deal with widely varying PAs, acoustics, etc. The feedback problems with a vintage mic and tube amp only (the constant fight to actually HEAR myself play) really wore me out. Now I can hear myself clearly in gigs in all kings of settings, even if everyone else starts creeping up with the volume (as they inevitably do). I hate playing a gig (and feeling that I've played poorly), simply because I couldn't hear what the X&%#$ I was doing (I need all the help I can get!).

I mostly use the Fireball now and occasionally will bring a vintage mic (run through an A/B box with a foot switch), if I want a Chicago sound for some numbers.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for harp teachers in the San Diego (or lower Orange County) area? I've been playing for some time but am entirely self-taught. I know very little music theory and play by ear. I'd like some help getting to the next level and breaking out of my comfort zone (via more tongue blocking, help with fluency at the upper end of the diatonic, help with different positions, maybe OBs).

Best wishes,
Grant

BTW, I've really enjoyed hearing the SPAH reports. I hope to attend one day if it's held closer to the west coast.