[Harp-L] Subject: Re: My personal SPAH report...Long...so skip if not interested :)

So:   SPAH 2006.....Denver.  The Mile-High City.   A Big problem for those of
us with altitude issues....but....never having  visited Denver, I'm game.

Got there early....the Flite-Plane ear plugs (new ones) worked just  fine.
Frontier is a heck of an airline.  Never flew it  before...Pilot took a long
slow descent into Denver...that makes all the  difference for people with my
type of ear issues.....I met three folks  who'd bought different versions of the
plugs from the same site...very  cool...including Bobbie Giordano...SO good to
meet up with her  again.

.....Got in early enough to do a little clean up work on my  chromatics..grab
a quick lunch ...this is Colorado...they actually cook  steak/burgers
well-done when asked!..nice, think I'm going to like it  here....realize I'm running
out of time for the harp-blow-off...but  there's Todd (Buckweed) Jason's bass
guitarist, relaxing with a  friend.  Gives me a hug hello...but why the heck
isn't he already  over at Herman's Hideaway?  Then it dawns on me I'm still set
on NY  time.  Doofus....so, now I have plenty of time to veg out, get my
bearings.....

Several of us gather in the lobby and then outside to figure out how  to get
to the Harp-Blow-off...Bobbie's driving.  Michael Polesky has  Javier in
tow....from Chile (Darn, I've forgotten his surname)   lovely young guy - speaks
better English than me...takes us a while to get  it all sorted out just who is
travelling with whom, but it ends up with  five of us squeezed into Bobbie's
rental convertible....me in the backseat  this time.  I'm really not afraid to
ride shotgun...but we need to  squeeze in the back, lol....of course it
doesn't dawn on us until she's  already zoomed out onto the roadway that I'm the
only one who even knows  the name of the joint....no one has the address or
directions...so we're  flying blind (once again)(and yes, "flying" when Bobbie
Giordano has the  wheel is the operative word.)  I know it's supposed to be 12
miles  away....I did have a mapquest map ...but it's still in NY.   We'll find
it, don't worry.  Those who went ahead...Winslow who was  playing early...Allen
Holmes, .Dennis Gruenling and Gina Fox...thankfully  all must have known where
they were going...unlike us. We got  there...eventually  <g>  I promised I
wouldn't pick on  Bobbie's driving.  And truly.....after much laughter and
gasping of  breath from the back seat (as she rounds corners on two wheels)(which
she'll deny) ....she does always get her passengers to their  destinations
safely.  Hasn't killed a harmonica player  yet.....so shuddup and stop
complaining, Elizabeth!

I'm on Herman's Hideaway's mailing list and this link might take you  to 9
photos of Jason's harp blow-off of that night....I hope...
_Click here:  HermansHideaway.com the Web Site for Live Original Music in
Denver._ (http://www.hermanshideaway.com/index4.php)

Trying to find a parking spot near Herman's was a whole 'other ball  game.
That took another half hour or so....we finally got inside to  catch Michael
Peloquin onstage...this was my first experience hearing  him play....and was I
glad I didn't miss the chance. Fantastic..then  Michael picked up his
saxophone. Wow...my favorite instrument.  I  could have happily listened to Michael
blow his Sax all night...then a  little Jason Ricci treat....backed up by New
Blood who're always  fabulous....then in no particular order (because I just
don't remember  it):  Chris Michalek (with his own band giving New Blood a
break)...really got into his sound....very interesting -   the  last number
especially, with an intriguing drumbeat just got me  moving.  His music a lot more
melodious than I'd originally  thought it might be...very pleasantly
surprised.... Jimi Lee is  Always, Always great and a class act....they could do away with
the  mic, he doesn't need it...but I'm SO ticked that we actually missed
Winslow Yerxa playing...Allen Holmes, then Dennis Gruenling &  Gina Fox....aargh!
 Next year if Jason continues his tradition, we'll  be there an hour early
just to make sure...and that's a promise -even if I  have to throw Bobbie into a
cab!

For some reason Gary Primitch was majorly delayed....Jason announced  time
after time that Gary was eventually going to be there "soon"....he  did arrive
and finished out the evening.  George Brooks whose playing  completely
intrigues me...but is far beyond my understanding....I also  heard him later during a
SPAH jazz seminar.....I know I'm leaving people  out....but every so often had
to step outside for some air....we'd had to  talk Smo-Joe into coming with us
- he thought he'd be taking up space of  someone else who better belonged at
this "Blues" thing...I believe he had  a good time after all and changed his
mind after hearing some of what was  being played....and running into a few
friends in the audience...I  couldn't sit down so was dancing in place when a
quiet voice to my left  said a "hello, Elizabeth"....and in the gloom I hadn't
even noticed  quiet, unassuming Joe Filisko...just thoroughly enjoying the
show.   Buzz Krantz came by, gave us both neck massages..but  stopped way too soon
:)  ...Ken "Mojo Red"... who didn't have a ride  back to the Hotel for the
extra people we needed room for because he lives  in Denver - well, heck with
you, Ken...go home and be comfy...   :)

A great, great night.  Shawn Starski and Todd Edmunds  played to their
usually superb level.....I haven't yet met their new  drummer Ron (while Steve
Johnson recovers from his injury)...but he does  New Blood justice.  Jason was in
top form as usual.  The trip  back to the Denver Renaissance was much faster
than the one to the  Club.

Time speeds up, things go by in a blur at these Conventions....I  swore I
would take notes but didn't.  Smo-Joe  had decided  beforehand that I would
finally play at an Open Mic at this SPAH.   (Hah, I thought....you and whose army
is going to make me?)....but the  thought intrigued....I have such immense
stage fright, I couldn't imagine  that I'd be ready to break through.  But it
niggled at me....so I  went off whenever I could and practiced one very easy piece
in my room,  just in case....(didn't find out until half way through that
Chris  Michalek was my neighbor...so I probably drove him nuts or bored him to
death, lol).  I knew, though ...that I wasn't going to actually
play...impossible....there were too many other things to do and see...I  wanted to attend
the Filisko teach ins (I actually ended up at only one of  those)... so many
seminars I missed... shows I missed...all because one  day walking past two
people noodling in a corner...one of them (Wally  Peterman)...called out to me that
HE would back me up on chord...when I  decided to play at Open Mic!   Talk
about pressure!    So now what do I do?

Smo-Joe had just about given up on me at that point.  Then Mike  Runyan and
Frank Warner gave me an hour's long talking-to about overcoming  stage
fright...separately with their own unique perspectives...

I then witnessed the two Valeries....Wally's wife and Phil  Caltaboletta's
Valerie on Bass overcoming their own paralyzing fear to get  up onstage and
perform for a big audience ...with a keyboard player, Phil  on chrom and Wally on
chord.....their first time ever performing in  public...they hadn't even
practiced together.  That was probably the  turning point.....as well as the
realization that if I turned down the  oh-so-generous offer of Wally Peterman
backing me up on chord...I'd be a  complete idiot...and forever regretful.

....so I made my decision that night (Friday)....to play the next  day.
Regardless of the consequences.  So we ran through one  very brief practice
....the next day once more on the main song....another  single run through on the
2nd number...and I finally....actually...for  real...played up on stage, knees
knocking, shaking like a leaf...with  Smokey Joe Leone on chromatic to my left,
Wally Peterman to my right on  chord...a scaled down version of Robert
Bonfiglio's "Sleepwalk", followed  by "Someone to Watch Over Me".  And I hit my
notes (so I'm  told)...and lightning didn't strike me.....and I didn't die.   :)

....I did however remain completely frozen with fear and paralyzed  until
Wally helped me offstage <G>

They say it's easier the next time?  hah!

It was nice to get the applause and the several kudos from a few  very
generous folks...but I think my stomach's still shaking.   Perhaps it was worth
missing out on so much else going on at  SPAH...perhaps this is my "big
breakthrough"...I still have to  assimilate it all.

One thing I did not miss...would not miss, could not miss, was Jason  Ricci &
New Blood's performance on Friday Night.  I have one  MAJOR complaint....the
lighting.  I understand when Jason says how  much more nervous he gets about
performing for a SPAH audience...but I  honestly think part of it is the
horrible lighting...if they dimmed the  lights a bit...made it seem more like a
night-club - (it was an  evening show, after all)....perhaps that might have
lessened the tension,  made it more conducive to performing...  Small things can be
 important....

Then Jason gave the show of his young life....I've NEVER heard him  play
better.  I know Marc was recording for the documentary....I can  only hope his
camera is equipped with good sound...or that someone else  was taping as well,
because Jason was on fire....this was his best  performance Ever!  Not only the
dedication to Al & Judy  Smith...with whom he shares a mutual admiration...but
 his absolute shining, exciting, ferocity ....style, charisma...if you
weren't a fan when you arrived, unless made of stone...you'd be one  when you left.
 He is THE most talented young harmonica musician  in our world....he has the
"it" factor that denotes superstars...and it  kills me that the rest of the
world hasn't yet caught up to recognizing  him...

Saturday night's Banquet....for which I was late (as usual)...I  always think
it's at 7p.m.  don't know why....but they begin much too  early for me....my
brain isn't wired to begin eating dinner  earlier :)  besides I was still
waking up from my trance...of  playing onstage for the first time ....having to
get something light  to eat (starved all day)...then having to change for
dinner. This year's dedications were nice....especially the award to  Frank
Warner...so well deserved...what a terrific guy....(another of those  "older" players
who is as young as any of the rest of us...and shows no  signs at all of
slowing down)...

....and I did enjoy the Korean ensemble...to a point.  Their  version of
Orange Blossom Special was a bit lacking....someone should have  explained just
how special that tune is....my ears are wired to hear it  almost solely from
Charlie McCoy.  Apart from that very slight  misstep, they were very talented.

Stan Harper was a lot of fun...my first time seeing him..I enjoyed
everything he did....Finally getting to see and hear Robert Bonfiglio in  person....of
course I'm getting to his Grand Canyon Seminar next week so  will get to
experience his magic in person....but the classical music was  truly
beautiful....the woman pianist from the Denver Symphony (I  believe) was in a class by
herself...a superb accompanist...as well as the  violinist (perhaps also with the
Denver symphony?).  When Robert then  played his diatonic Blues tribute to
Sonny Boy Williamson and paid homage  to Jason Ricci.....I noticed Jason (just
back from a gig) and eating  later than the rest of us....look up, startled by
Robert's words.  I  went over to explain that it was clear to me that Robert
meant every word  of his tribute, as he'd had so much fun grooving to Jason
playing on  Friday. Jason is still so humble he doesn't quite believe someone of
the  level of a Bonfiglio could think so highly of him....but I've never been
so proud of him turning it on and raising the bar to the level he did on
Friday.....it was something special to witness.  He does a 20-minute  plus solo
that literally takes everyone else's breath away....can you tell  I really love
him?

I did get to sit in at one teach-in where Jason held forth on  his ideas
about tongue blocking vis-a-vis pucker playing and how a meld of  the two ...using
one when necessary, the other for speed...and why not use  a combination of
both?  (I know I've simplified it, hope I'm  explaining it correctly)....but I
happen to agree completely  with his take on it...since if I'd ever want to
emulate anyone playing  diatonic...it would be Jason Ricci. The next Jam Camp
where he decides to  sign on as an instructor?....I'm in.

There were so many fabulous moments....talking to Rupert Oysler about  his
now being Seydel's rep ....and the retirement of Michael  Timler....getting
Jimmy Gordon's autograph on his CD "Come on Over" which  I'd actually lugged to
SPAH (knowing he'd never believe I'd actually bring  it or think I really did
like the CD as much as I do, unless I  did)....meeting Rudene and her Mom after
she'd written that moving essay  about her Mom Ludie's harmonica
playing....how cool...they weren't staying  at the Hotel, but in a trailer because of their
three "baby"  chihuahuas.  Wonderful....another animal lover with whom I
instantly  bonded...and she knew immediately why I was still grieving over the
loss  of my dog Shawnee in March and held my hand (only another real animal
person gets it, it seems)....Mike Runyan of the enigmatic smile - who  ended up my
tablemate at both this past Buckeye and now SPAH (what are the  odds?) and
who took a lot of time to talk me through my fear of  playing...even showing us
on his PDA his performance in a cowboy  outfit playing harmonica in front of a
huge audience....he looks so quiet  and unassuming but can really wow a
crowd....Michael Polesky who I just  think is the cutest teddy-bear of a guy (a
small Teddy-bear,Michael...I'm  really not comparing you to Buzz, despite your
thinking your new bride is  fattening you up too much :)   Cara Cooke in full
teaching mode  again, but this time not only playing very cool John Denver songs
on  guitar in mini-jams downstairs for sing-a-longs, but making  jewelry  out
of Little Lady Hohner's.....Mark Russillo "The Rhode Island Kid", with  Thea,
his lovely animal loving girlfriend (my favourite kind of  people)....I
remember Mark from last year's SPAH...but this time we talked  quite a bit and they
actually hurried off to the Denver Zoo to photograph  the resident Hippo who
was celebrating his 50th Birthday....gotta love  folks who consider that an
important thing...Thea's photos of the Hippos  were gorgeous...David Fairweather
"The Jazzman"....Finally outed!  I  had no idea who the cool guy in the
beanie was until Bobbie took us  shopping together....aaahh...then I got all the
dirt.  Very cool and  laidback guy...I then heard him sing just a few bars at
the end of  that one Jazz Jam as it rolled to a close...too cool, David....gotta
hear  more....Chris Michalek...finally getting to say hello at the Harp-L
"get-together" at the bar on Thursday (too many folks forgot and missed
it)....I'd said hello to Chris at Herman's, but now we had a chance to  chat for a
minute or two.....he's exactly as I thought he was.....funny  and down to
earth...had a long chat with Marc making the harmonica  documentary then too (I know
I have his surname somewhere)....about  photography and this incredible work
he and Todd are doing.....such a nice  guy, and so into this film.....we are
fortunate that they are capturing  for posterity what will be some incredible
memories...Marc even screened a  lot of it for anyone who wished to watch, but
I only got to see a few  minutes of it..my friend and almost neighbor Warren
Bee...I actually  didn't get to hear too much of his playing this trip, since I
missed most  of the Blues Jams...but I heard him in other areas and his tone
is to die  for...Warren has way too little confidence in himself the rest of
the  year....hearing all these kudos from the guys at SPAH gives him a
much-needed boost...I hope it finally sinks IN Mr. B -   that  you're damn good!
Sheesh!  Now get OUT of Bubbles' belly  and play that thang!.........meeting the
Ladies up in the Hospitality Room  and actually winning the Trivia Contest
(I'm a font of useless knowledge,  I tell you)....a lovely hand-knitted black
eye-lash yarn scarf by  Barb  Totten (I'm a knitter too so who'd a thunk it?)
very, very cool....getting to meet two of the people who worked so hard on
doing this thing at Denver (who go unsung) but I was actually on Dave's  list of
people to meet from this list...Dave Minton? (Minson)...(oh   lord I'm
misspelling your name, lol....you'll correct me)  with  his lovely wife....we had a
nice long chat ...they're terrific  people!

oh ...reason I missed ONE blues jam was because...well, there was  this
beautiful black baby grand...all by it's lonesome at the end of a  small corridor
at the bottom of the Atrium...now the Denver Renaissance is  set up where all
the rooms...all the floors open up and look across at  each other and down,
down, down to the restaurant....Atrium floor.   Very interesting set-up.  Of
course that means that any sound on the  floor below the Atrium..the "B"
level...(where most of the SPAH happenings  took place)....carried upwards...prompting
the security guards to get a  bit snippy with SPAH people (EVEN Buzz!  can you
imagine?  lol).....They went so far as to post a Big sign in the Lobby
telling  us not to play our harmonicas in the main Lobby (where all the comfortable
seating was) so as not to bother the other guests.  Since that is  where most
SPAH/Buckeye attendees are most used to playing.....it seemed a  bit odd and
definitely confusing....but this particular night....those  problems seemed to
have been worked out...no one around...I'm on my own on  the lower level by
the piano....what the heck...I still have to work out  my "song"...so I begin
noodling on the keys.  I attract an  audience....at least the few who
appreciated that I was no Van Cliburn  were cool...Smo-Joe almost falling asleep on the
piano stool....sheesh I  didn't think my playing was quite that bad.....
Bobbie...some other  folks...but along comes Brady Mills (luckily when I was alone
 again)....and if you haven't heard HIM play...go to his website:
_www.bradymills.com_ (http://www.bradymills.com)  and give a  listen....you'll have a
clue as to what I mean.  Because he is the  sweetest thing he doesn't laugh at my
playing...actually liked  one instrumental he hadn't known about before - but
then, because my  left hand playing is so bad (I just fake the chords)....he
took over that  part...I played the right hand and we sailed through Moon
River.  How  cool was that?  He's a wonderful pianist.. quite made my whole
night....lots of people came by....listened, talked, went on their  way.  I wished
I was a better pianist....or harmonica player. It was  such a pleasant way to
spend a couple of hours....making a little music of  my own...."Scooter"
introducing himself...then calling me "a real  musician"...wow.

....Buzz Krantz at one teach-in...where I was still asking for  help because
of "losing all my air"... tried to get me to relax  ..but does anyone trust
him not to be joking? So I kept peeking ...I mean,  this is Buzz!   Finally he
suggested that I talk to Joe  Filisko...who gave some really excellent
pointers...Joe is the Zen  Master of breathing....I  listened and tried to absorb some
of what  he was imparting....tried to remember some of that when I was
actually  playing.  Maybe it worked on my subconscious because I didn't lose  all my
air, come to think of it...thanks Joe!  Buzz, on the other  hand...when
someone mentioned my posts here on Harp-L...gave me that  fish-eyed look and said
"you're THAT Elizabeth?!!"  (his tone implied  ...the "infamous" Elizabeth)...I
wasn't sure quite how to  answer him...<g>  finally 'fessed up.  I  think I'm
in the clear...think he just might  approve.  cool.   I'm leaving out so many
new people I  met and whose names just escape me...I'll remember them the
moment I hit  send,  just know it and will kick myself.

...Joe Leone (Smo-Joe, Smokey) of Harp-L and Slidemeister...insisted  that I
could play and practically forced me to "just do it"...even helped  me with my
bags to the airport...and they were heavy so I needed the  help....extra
special person, you made me face my fears though I dug in my  heels...you made
this a great SPAH experience...but I was so focused on  playing chromatic this
time...getting ready for Robert's seminar in  Arizona and wondering if I
actually could get up to play in front of  another human being....I missed out on a
lot of the Blues I so  enjoy....but there will always be another time....

....The ultimate and perfect SPAH 2006 moment for me...(and Ken "Mojo  Red"
Mergentime stole this after I'd told it to him and specifically asked  him not
to, lol...so I'm outing him)....

.....during one of the marathon sessions where Smo-Joe and Mike  Runyan were
still working on my fear issues about playing...I became aware  peripherally
of Todd Edmunds (Buckweed) of New Blood walking by carrying  his gift from
Jason - a gorgeous double Bass harmonica....now this kid can  play
anything....Tuba, keyboard, Bass guitar, melodica....he wants to play  Bass harmonica...but
at that particular moment he looked just a tiny  bit out of his element - not
typical for him.  Then I  noticed Frank Warner - very tall, very regal
man....who plays Bass and  whose playing (with Wally Peterman on Chord harmonica) so
captured Jason's  interest at Buckeye in April...stop Todd and begin speaking
to him...the  same Frank Warner who later talked to me about how to overcome my
fear of  playing....

...every so often I'd glance over and watch their conversation
progress....as Todd relaxed more and more....they became more  animated...and then....Todd
was playing the Bass as Frank leaned in and  gave him pointers... I can only
assume was giving him a lesson.  More  time went by...I lost track of them a
bit.....and then saw Todd walk by  ..shoulders high ...a grin a mile wide on his
face...holding up the  Bass...and a look of absolute joy on his face....

...Frank walked over to us and I commented on how much I liked Todd  and his
playing..how talented he was, and that he (Frank) must have just  done
something wonderful to put that smile on his face...and Frank then  said to me...that
"this is what SPAH is all about!  - getting these  young people to take up
these instruments and carry them on.....that young  man is SO talented...he
wants to  play the Bass, he'll do  fine".... (I'm paraphrasing)  but in the
end...that IS what it is all  about.....

The older passing it on to the younger (notice I don't use "old" -  which I
find an insulting word).  It was a gorgeous moment...and made  my heart feel
good.  So Todd (Buckweed - you know I hate that name,  lol)....know that YOU
ultimately put the finishing touch on this  SPAH for me, my friend.

Elizabeth