Re: [Harp-L] sitting in

On 8/22/06, Steve York <bandbase2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<Snip>

Since then we have had a policy that only musicians who are referred to us
by another pro musician who we know, or by the club owner can sit in.
<Snip>
The exception to all the above guidelines is if you are much more famous
than the band!

I agree EXCEPT for the last line. If it is my gig, then it is MY stage. Anyone who asks must approach with the expectation that they might be told no. Otherwise, I do not care if Jesus, Buddha and Allah walk up with Little Walter, Chick Webb and Mozart in their backing band, they do not get stage time. No, this is not ego, it is respect. Having a famous person, be he world renowned or local hero, share your stage can be a great experience for the band and audience. But they are the guest and should behave as such. Yes, I realize that in practical terms, if Eric Clapton wants to sit in and the band says no, they will probably be out the door themselves. The principle, however, remains. (And if dead guys are walking the stage, I am probably out of there anyway.)