[Harp-L] Tone and Intonation?

I've edited the comments contained below for the sake of  brevity.

Chris Michalek wrote:

"In general I think the uberblows are not very substantial  notes. ... the
timbre of them creates an uneveness through slower or more  melodic passages
that I don't like. As my playing is evolving I am concentrating  what I think
sounds best and I have come to the conclusions that OB are rarely a  part of that
equation. They work well in fast passages and as passing tones but  ...."

Richard Hunter agrees:

"This is essentially what I've been arguing on this list and it's  as
gratifying to see it from Chris as it is surprising.

"If I next  read a discussion from someone on this list of the outstanding
musical value of  using multiple full sets of alternate tuned diatonics,
including Dorian and  Natural Minor, Country Tuned, Melody Maker, Paddy Richter,
Paddy Richter Minor,  and others, well, I'll just beam all day long."

So, I gather both gentlemen are saying that the best sound achievable with
the instrument should be the objective rather than to show what can be wrenched
 out of a given harmonica.  So, alternate tunings or chromatics to fit  the
music should be utilized.

I even find bends to be troublesome in essentially melodic music while they
are great in many other situations.  Now, does that mean that my  bends just
need a great deal more work (believe me they do) or does it  suggest that I
should aspire to use harmonicas that are more  appropriate for that particular
music.

It puzzles me that I have many recordings of religious music, gospel  music,
fiddle music, ballads, etc. played on a diatonic, as far as I can tell,  that
sound great and where there is no sense that the note is  forced.  Are bends,
handled well, really suitable for such  music?  Or, are they simply a device
that imparts that "soulful sound"  characteristic of the blues and not really
appropriate otherwise?

And yes, I recognize that there are many in the harmonica community who
would answer the questions by saying it's why they play the chromatic.

Lee Lewis
Madison, MS