RE: [Harp-L] The Outstanding Musical Value of Alternate Tunings

This thread is of particular significance to me, as I have dipped deep into
the well of custom tunings of late--
Tim (and most folks here) are simply more familiar with Richter than other
tunings, and that makes for fluidity.
Melody Maker allows draw bends on the chord notes of the tonic key--that's
useful if you enjoy the flavor that bends impart to the sound. I like MM so
well I have moved on to the Major Cross tuning that is a relative--10 blow
is down a half step, and the bottom is retuned to start on the 5th note of
the scale and go up the diatonic scale--no major scale notes omitted
I recently created a bunch of Magic Bop Band tuned harps--it's chromatic,
only one OB, all other notes are available either naturally or with draw
bends. Now if I can just remember the tuning . . .
And lastly, I am eagerly awaiting an XB-40 in G that Pat Missin is tuning to
Paddy. The valves had curled on it so badly that it sounded like a kazoo--I
bet his work will make this one my go-to harp, although having learned the
Melody Maker tuning, Paddy seems awkward. I am hoping this will change once
I start using the altered XB.
Let's face it, the tuning can make a difference in lots of ways, and not
every harp player will want to adjust to a new one, just as not all
guitarists will change tuning.
Gary