Re: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH TV clip

----- Original Message ----- From: "Garry Hodgson" <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:27 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH TV clip

"Rick Dempster" <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why not approach a film maker to produce a doco. on SPAH?

interesting idea. you could even check for film departments at
local universities and see if there are students looking for an interesting
documentary project.

There is a serious and professional effort already under way to make a harmonica video documentary. His name escapes me but he has attended several SPAH meetings and has shot many hours of harmonica footage. He uses a professional camera and lights. This year he was by himself but in the past he has had an assistant. He is the person who is always sitting and crawling on the floor during the stage performances. I saw him shooting at the Rack Seminar at SPAH04. He said that he is fascinated by the harmonica and is learning to play.

He not only records performances but conducts interviews to understand the opinions and motivations of harmonica folk. He told me that his day job is video editor for a network. He even listened to what I had to say. His questions seemed intelligent and reflected a knowledge of harmonicas and the people who play them. If he interviewed all the people at SPAH more important than me, then his coverage was exhaustive!

He said that he expects to be editing his footage for a year or more and hopes to have something preliminary to show by next SPAH. Video editing is intense and time-consuming work!

Of course the result will reflect his perceptions, but it will not suffer from any one-time, quick-take, in-and-out, superficial impression. He has recorded and interviewed many people over a period of several years, immersing himself in the whole harmonica scene. Maybe his result will satisfy you.

Vern