From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Warren Bee
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 2:04 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Thanks for the Great Feedback! / thoughts on the Jazz
jamssituation

I appreciate all of the recent attention that I have been receiving here
from you harp-l folks. The responses to the two posted links that Tim M.
set up have been numerous and all positive! From both sides of the pond!
The blues jams at SPAH are so much fun to participate in. Maybe other
links will be posted of other players. I was only one of many blowin'
their licks. The relaxed atmosphere and being among so many friends
really inspires all players. Special thanks go out to Bubbles for his
invitation beckoning me to get inside his belly! I am sorry Bubbles but
that seems like a very strange place to enter..I'll pass :-)

http://www.workingmansharps.com/Sounds/other/warrenB2Friday.mp3

http://www.workingmansharps.com/Sounds/other/warrenBFriday.mp3

I do hope that all interested parties in the Jazz jams can "fix" things
so it becomes a similar experience to the blues jams. I do not want to
speak out of place but I will mention a few thoughts passing through my
head: 1) location of the room for the Jazz jams shouldn't be that
important. I think if the blues jams were in the boiler room it would
still draw a crowd. If the Jazz jams get "built" right they will come no
matter where they are located. 2) One of the great features of the blues
jams is the lack of ego's. It seems that all attitudes are left at the
door before entering. I get a vibe that this is not the case 100% with
the Jazz situation. SPAH is and should be about participation at all
levels. Other than the shows and seminars an "everybody plays" attitude
is important. These jams are not supposed to be showcases for the greats
and a dream for the "growing"
players. Perhaps what would help is a separate " Jazz showcase event"
for the seasoned players and a real "blues jam feel" Jazz jam for the
majority.
Again just my opinion.

I also want to add that perhaps a formal Bluegrass/county jam needs to
be added as well. Cara Cooke and friends really had a "happening" in the
lobby every night! Great stuff, low egos (from what I could see) and a
lot of interest from both players and "watchers".

One challenge in all of this is the number of hours in a day and only 4
days. One other thing that could help fill these events up would be if
we could raise attendance levels in the future. I am contemplating
looking into promoting a chartered bus trip to Milwaukee next year  from
here by me in metro NY.  A "Magic Bus" of harp players jamming along the
highway making the 4 day convention a week long "event" might be of
interest to some. If the math works out it could also put things in the
price range to make it more affordable than in years past. Any feed back
on this idea will be appreciated. Perhaps others around other metro
areas would want to do it as well.

Warren Bee