Re: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH Jazz Jams

Joe Leone wrote:
> Another factor that was present was that the players NEVER
> placed their mics back in the stand and took a step back to
> show that mics WERE available. They basically hung on to them
> through the entire tunes, therefore giving the impression that
> they 'Had it', and no one else needed to apply. (I'm sure it
> wasn't intentional) and they traded '16s' the whole evening. I
> had no problem with it because I wanted to listen to some of the
> best.

I gotta wonder from this whether you need a mic at all in this
situation.  In my eyes it simply puts someone besides
the "moderator" in control.  It certainly shouldn't be needed for
amplification.  In a jazz ensemble if the band can bring it down to
the level that a harmonica can cut through un-amplified, then you've
got the wrong band.

> One fellow even made the statement: "I came a long way...I'm
> gonna play". OK, good, good for you pal. Meanwhile. I had come
> 1717 miles to his 859.  Some people are self oriented, some
> are 'people' oriented. I happen to fall in the second group.

But who's counting, eh, Joe?  ;-)

-tim