[Harp-L] Harmonica Conventions in General.

First of all I want to apologize for anything I wrote in the past few days which may have offended anyone. I have been very despondent lately, so don't pay any attention

Over the past 15 years, I have been to 11-12 Spahs, 7 Buckeyes, a Va. and 2 N.J., and 5 dixieland fests. I have made a few observations pertaining to atmosphere.

1.... Walking around a hotel with a drink in your hand which is NOT from the bar. I have had my a$$ chewed. Apparently they will cite some state law that this is illegal. What they MEAN to say is "We're loosing money". First of all, this is BS. The hotel is private property. The law has no business there unless called. If the hotel and law can't work together on this, shame ON em. IF the bar was open when you NEED it to be (like late at night), one might be inclined to give them the business. If the hotel doesn't want to acquiesce to 'outside' drinks, get another hotel. If it's the city who is going to be hard a$$ed about, get another city. I realize we are a relatively small group for a convention, but we are a convention after all and while we ARE getting a reduced price, we are still bringing money into the area. If the city, town, hotel isn't interested in our business, I say adjust.

OK, not everyone drinks so that was probably a small item, but I will ask for a Brandy Alexander and the bar can't make it. I then ask for Bailey's Irish Creme and get one tiny shot in the bottom of a huge glass for $7.16. So you had better give them $9.oo. I once walked through the lobby with a beer INSIDE a cover in Detroit and was threatened with arrest, Needless to say, Detroit lost my business.

2.... Playing in the lobby. OK, this was never a problem before. The hotel has to understand that this is a harmonica convention not a BRAILLE convention. Some sound is bound to get into the air. The way the hotel was laid out negated this problem somewhat by having most all activities in the basement. But it was just another wet blanket to sit on your mind as you strolled around. Another regulation posted on an easel. Another mood buster.

3... Most rooms were claustrophobic (as hotel specialty rooms tend to be). This is fine for the Sat eve meal & show (because of reduced lighting) and most of the seminars (where strong light is needed). But looking at bland sterile walltex on removable panels with no decor or embellishments is depressing. You feel like you're in a box. Sometimes it's nice to have a spot with some trim. In Dallas there was the library right off the bar AND main hall. It was cozy & homey and you could walk over, get a drink, and settle down for some nice playing around the piano. The ceiling wasn't 19 ft. high. The lights weren't like at Connie Mack stadium.

4... Having some venues removed from other venues by 2 floors and half the length of the building is unnecessary. Everything should be compact.

5... A major gripe (of mine) in the past was the proximity of 'outside events'. Namely eating spots. In THIS regard, this convention was good. It was actually feasible for a person of moderate mobility to get over to the shopping center. While I did have a $16.oo breakfast buffet at the hotel, I don't care to spend that much all the time. Since the earth is 24,901.55 miles in circumference, I will limit my driving to 1,245.8 miles to get to a convention. In THOSE cases, because I have a car, I don't care WHERE the hotel is, but I'm a rarity, and outside events are important to people who flew in. Most conventions have been in the middle of nowhere in this respect.

6... I have been told that these hotels are picked because of their ability to seat the required number for dinner. OK, I'll buy that, and would like to thank Paul Davies and his staff for a wonderful job well done. The few sniggling things are of no great consequence and I apologize if I sounded critical. Most of my negatives have built up over many years and DON't necessarily pertain to this convention.

7... Personally, I see the jazz jam going belly up. I am used to playing in a club/bar/rest where there are windows, the atmosphere is a vacation, carnival, sojourner, atmosphere and everyone is there to have a good time. The lighting is subtle and there is a lot of 'eye candy' to look at, maybe a view of the waterfront, etc. The whole mood is very very different than what we're experiencing in these windowless, brightly lit, walltex covered boxes. I can't see how that can be cured.
Let's face it guys, people just don't want to listen to jass any more. If you're getting less than 28 listeners. what's the point?

8... BTW, anyone in the south east sector of Fla should check out Randy Singer and any one of his several wonderful venues. Here's a guy who REALLY knows what's what. He puts on a great show in a great atmosphere.

(hey, maybe I'm spoiled) smokey-joe