RE: [Harp-L] Harmonica Conventions in General.

I agree on the atmosphere in the walltex 'boxes' at the hotels. I don't
even like them for technical conferences, which I speak at often. I can
imagine how horrible they are atmosphere-wise for music conventions
(well I did experience this at the buckeye in 2005). So what would be
real cool is if the convention was at a downtown hotel with some nice
venues right within walking distance, so you could have the blues jams,
harp blowoffs, jazz jams, etc in a comfortable and familiar environment.
I'm sure the propreitors of those establishments wouldn't mind :-)

I think this is somewhat what Jon Gindick strives for with his jam
camps, to have the instruction and so forth in the hotel conference
rooms, which fits, but then the jam parts of it in a local tavern or
whatever, so the band and participants can be up on a 'real' stage. Just
some food for thought. Or even an outside stage in the hotel parking lot
on a trailer bed or something, in a tent, any of that is better than
being in those stupid bland acoustically hostile conference rooms named
after european cities and slapped together with sliding panels.

I'm with you on the other smo-jo. If there's one thing I'm good at (with
lots of practice over the long years) it's sneaking my own cheap booze
into places it doesn't belong, haha. But I do spend plenty of time (and
money) in the hotel bars on my travels.

Bill