Re: [Harp-L] Transition from Pucker to Tongue Block

Matt Smart wrote:
> I am currently "woodshedding" and attempting to make the
> transition from pucker to tongue block. I can, do vamping,
> fluttering, octaves, single notes, bending etc...but find it
> difficult to achieve the same tone and bending is tough. One
> person recommended the u block on lower notes, but that feels
> like cheating to me. Any advice? I am am open to any
> suggestions on playing..adding tongue blocking to popular
> licks...resources...anything. Thanks

One thing that's important to remember when adding any new technique
to your playing is that learning is a process.  Don't look for
a "breakthrough" that will change your playing overnight.  Leverage
what you already do well to coax yourself in the direction you want
to go.

I learned to tongue block octaves 30 years ago from listening to
Paul Butterfield records, and after much practice I could move
effortlessly -- thoughtlessly -- between puckered single notes and
tongue blocked octaves.  When I started trying to tongue block
single notes, the simple act of putting my tongue on the harmonica
generated octave playing.

I talked to Joe Filisko at the Harmonica Masterclass in Austin last
year and Joe suggested that I not try to force myself to play only
the single note, but rather to try and first simply emphasize one
side or the other of the octave (ideally, both, changing at will).
Eventually, he maintained, I would learn to play only one of those
notes, without unlearning the octave technique.  Process...

Unfortunately, I haven't worked on it very hard.  I'm still trying
to get my first tongue blocked overblow.

-tim