[Harp-L] Re: sitting in

rickindavis wrote:

> As for sitting in, I never ask.  In fact, I never
> take harps to a show unless I have been specifically
> asked to join the band on stage beforehand.

I never ask to sit in, but I've learned to carry harps
with me.  I learned it the hard way a few times.

Let this be a lesson in missed opportunities.

1.  I was hanging out at a bar on the South Side of
Chicago.  I was invited to sit in with Phil Guy in the
mid 90's.  I didn't have any harps with me.

2.  I was hanging out at Kingston Mines.  I had an
opportunity to jam with James Cotton's former guitar
player, Michael Coleman.  I didn't have any harps with
me.

3.  One of my buddies was a harp player/band leader
that used to back the legendary John Brim and Big
Smokey Smothers.  He invited me to sit in with John
Brim in 1985.  I didn't have any harps with me.

4.  I had another extremely rare chance.  A couple of
months ago, I was invited to jam with Blues legends,
Bobby Rush, Billy Branch and Carl Weathersby.  Guess
what?  I didn't have any harps with me.

I was finally taught a lesson that night by those
guys.  They told me to "always carry a couple of
harps."

I missed some rare, unique and fantastic opportunities
to perform with some legendary artists.  I will never
get some of those opportunities again.

As a result, carrying harmonicas with me is advice
that I take seriously.

Joe