RE: [Harp-L] Transition from Pucker to Tongue Block

I'm not sure what style of music you play, so this is a shot in the
dark. For any Blues player, I would highly recommend Jerry Portnoy's
Harmonica Masterclass CD set. Not to be confused with David Barrett's
Masterclass. I have no experience with his instructional CDs, so that is
not a value judgement.
Portnoy gives the best training on single-note TB playing that I have
ever heard. From coming in on the note, to tongue slaps, he explains it
in great detail, with ample examples, and leaves nothing to the
imagination. He also gives examples going back and forth from TB to
puckering so that you get an idea of the different tones, textures and
uses of each.
As for me, I use both. And yes, I use my right foot for the gas, and my
left foot for the break. So sue me. I feel that there are proper times
for each type of approach. As I found tongue-blocking later in my
playing life, I still hold onto a lot of pucker habits. I tend to use
the pucker for playing runs or windmills (Sonny Boy II and Sonny
Terry-style licks), and use tongue-slapped and tongue-blocked single
notes for extra emphasis and added emotion. I use octaves as a
transitional tool, such as the long-held notes at the beginning or end
of a solo, or for adding texture to a song behind the guitarist.
I started playing using Marine Bands. Since I have switched to plastic
combs, I have realized a lot more benefits from the TB method, because I
can now use my tongue more comfortably against the harmonica.
Oddly enough, I play the chromatic TB exclusively. Octaves, single
notes, the whole shebang. In fact, playing puckered on the chromatic
feels awkward. Go figure.

John Balding