-----Original Message-----
From: jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx

Iceman:

"I have all my students linger longer on their intonation problem notes. It starts with holding 4 hole inhale bend as a long tone. If it is used in a melodic line, I'll have them play that 'problem' note longer in the line until they stop shying away from it. It's just another note - just because you need a slightly different technique to play it is no reason to be afraid of it."

No, but it's every reason to listen to it and figure out when it can and can't be used for best effect and musical results. An overblow is not just a natural note made in a different manner. The reed is doing something different, that's not just imagination and neither hard work nor concerted thought will make that little fact go away.

"Same goes for OB in my more advanced students. Be proud of it. If it doesn't sound like you want it to, you have to expose it to the air more to take care of the irregularities inherent. Adjustments are made, subtleties are discovered and a more micro sense of pitch and tone develops."

"Expose it to more air"? It depends on what you want for the song in question. Sometimes a created note (bends or overblows) in the right place is perfect. But in the wrong place the inherently different nature of their timbre, phrasing and the pitch-variable part (which is always there--even with good intonation, the pitch is always a bit slippery just by definition) can and will make the note stick out like a sore thumb. Think of the "Ode to Joy" challenge. Playing that piece with the bend in second position (the oft used 3draw whole-step bend) sounds nasty. Unlistenible really. Knowing not to do that (by playing in first position or on a Melody Maker if you want 2nd) is key to getting a musical result which won't scare small children and make dogs howl in a bad way.