Re: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking and speed

eric in miami issued the challenge,

that's impossible.

name one or more tb players that can play nearly as fast or with the dexterity
as someone like jason ricci.

I thought about it and came up with Sugar Blue who may or may not tb every note. He's certainly a very fast player. While I don't agree with the assertion that playing extremely quickly using tongue block as an embouchure is impossible I do agree that it's very unusual. If someone wanted to play in the style of John Popper or Jason Ricci I'd advise them to play pucker. Process does equal product and I think that's some of the reason virtually all of the Hendrix imitators fall flat. None of them are left handed. Like Mr. Ross I consulted an expert in the field and got the response that there was nothing in Sugar's playing that would preclude an all tb embouchure. It's niggling to dwell on this and it doesn't further the discussion in fact it dead ends it. There's nothing wrong with playing all pucker and I don't think that playing all tb makes you anything other than unique. I personally employ a mixed embouchure and play tb, pucker or u-block depending on what I'm trying to play. Technique is just a means to an end. When technique is keeping you from achieving your musical goals it's time to practise something new. fjm