Fwd: RE: [Harp-L] Tongue blocking and speed

WHy not play the first three holes at speed with a tongue block?

The only reason that tongue blocking *might* be awkward is that:

IF you tongue block exclusively with a right-side opening, there is
not enough harp at the left to rest your tongue on.

But so what? You don't need it. Your tongue and lips can maintain the
seal  without touching anything else - I sometimes call it "air
blocking". This allows you to maintain a full tongue block without
needing to switch from the right to left side or toswitch to a pucker.

Of course you can also simple swithc from the right to the left side,
which means you can get at the low notes even faster - no need to move
the whole harp (or mouth or head) - just flick your tongue a tiny bit
to the right - plenty of inherent speed there.

Bending in the lower holes with a tongue block is not a problem,
either, out of the right or the left side. PLenty of players can do it.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eric Garcia" <ericgar85@...>
wrote:

you honestly think he's tb-ing 100% at the lower register also with
the same
speed and dexterity??
think about it and try it.

eric