Re: [Harp-L] intonation and such

Jonathan Ross wrote:
> The idea that somehow eventually someone will practice enough and
> get good enough technique to make the physical difference in the
> behavior of the reed between natural and bent and overblown notes
> simply nonexistent just doesn't make any sense to me.

That anyone would want to doesn't make any sense to me.

The idea that "bent" notes sound somehow inferior to "natural" notes
is, in my mind, a matter of personal taste.  Yes, sometimes people who
are still learning the process of overbending (such as myself) might
produce off-pitch, squeaky notes with overbends, just as "regular"
bends might sound weak in beginning players.  But it's obvious that
with enough practice the bent notes can become every bit as valid
as "natural" notes.  Will they sound different?  Yes.  Worse?
Better?  Subjective.

-tim