[Harp-L] Fire Breath Harps and OBs (and their inntonation)

Imagine my surprise when the local music story actually had two Fire Breath harps!  I picked up the two keys they had of C and G.  Out of the box, the harp wasn't set up to ob very well, however, the overdraws were there.

  I took both of them apart.  I judge most harps by the key of C.  I have three that I compare new harps with.  One old one, one customized, and one I've done a lot of work on (reeds, arcing, embossing...).  On my GM's, I can accurately hit the 4, 5, 6, and 7 overbends without any problems and can hit them in pitch and even bend them up.

  I tried the same with the Suzuki's after a slight adjustment.  I noticed that with both harps, I could ob easily, but not in tune.  As I bent the notes up to the correct pitch, I got the typical squealing associated with the Japanese reeds.

  When I isolated reeds with my fingers, they were much more stable.  So...can I emboss, and arc like I would on a GM?  Can I use nail polish on the rivets to dampen the ringing???  Do I cover the whole rivet and keep it off the reed?

  If it weren't for the ringing I'd rate these ahead of any of my GMs.  I think it is a combination of my technique and the insturment, but I'd like to meet the harp halfway.

  Thanks,

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
NiteRail