Re: [Harp-L] Transition from Pucker to Tongue Block

--- Matt Smart <matthewsmart@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am currently "woodshedding" and attempting to
> make the transition from pucker to tongue block.
<<snip>>

Hey Matt,

I think it's great that you're working on TB! There
are some awesome things you can do in TB that you
just can't do in pucker (octaves, slaps, lifts
etc.). Some say it's the best embochure. Others
swear by pucker method, saying you can play much
faster and with better articulation). Folks debate
endlessly about the tonal benefits of both.

However, "which is better" is all highly debatable
and, at the end of the day, a matter of personal
prefrence.

Personally, I'm a stong advocate of using a mixed
embochure (TB and pucker). Maybe I'm a "Mixed
Embochure Nazi". LOL!

I like to have as many arrows in my quiver as I
can, so I find myself constantly moving back and
forth between the two.

As you get better at TB, you'll find places to used
it where you didn't think you could (TB bend-slaps,
for example). I say go for it, but don't toss your
pucker technique out the window. It's well worth
the effort to learn.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.