Re: [Harp-L] Professional/Gigging Survey

This is my checklist for a gig, including most recording sessions:

Performance Equipment (general):

Harmonica case (75 diatonics + 2 CX-12 chromatics in C; sometimes other chromatics as well)
Digitech RP-200 + power supply
Audix Fireball microphone in black plastic case
Labtec AM-22 mic
Lo-Z mic cable with hi-Z transformer for Fireball
20-foot 1/4" guitar audio cable

That's the minimum, and it's what I carry when I don't need every effect I use to be top-quality. (The RP200's reverbs in particular are okay, but not tops.) This setup is enough to guarantee that I'll get a variety of good sounds at the gig, regardless of what style I have to play, as long as there's a decent PA onsite. In particular, if I have to fly to the gig, that's the stuff I take on the plane.

If I'm just planning to sit in with someone for a set (more or less), I substitute a small harp case with 14 diatonics (Natural minors in G and A, 1 Dorian minor, one Country tuned harp, one Melody Maker, the rest standard diatonics in G, A, Bb, C, D (2), Eb, E, and F) and one chromatic for my full set of harps.

Optional extra gear:

Peavey KB/A 100 amplifier (if there's no PA or monitor system)+ amp stand AND/OR
Crate VC508 amplifier (if it's a blues gig)
Astatic JT30VC mic (for backup to Audix Fireball on a blues gig only) + hi-z cable
Yamaha Magicstomp pedal (for reverb)
Akai E-1 Headrush digital delay pedal + power supply
Boss BF-2 Flanger pedal
Akai Intelliphase phaser pedal + power supply
Electro-Harmonix Memory Man echo pedal

Miscellaneous:
Fake books as needed
Patch cords for pedal input and output
Effects loop (TRS) patch cord
At least 6 additional 3"-6" pedal patch cords
2-20’ 1/4” cable
Mic Stand and boom
2-3 6-input power strips
9 volt batteries (if I'm bringing the Boss flanger)
Hand truck (if I'm using the Peavey amp)

CD Sales setup (gigs under my name only -- I don't carry these for gigs where I'm a sideman):

Price sheet (in frame, i.e. under glass or plastic)
20 copies of RH bio
30 copies of press releases for Act Free and 2nd Act
30 Copies of press quotes
Display/holder for above handouts
3 Mailing List signup sheets
3 pens
RH photos for sale at $2 each
Folding table
$100 in $10 bills
$20 in $1 bills
30 2nd Act CDs (more for a big gig)
25 Act Free CDs (more for a big gig)
25 Sugar Mama UK + Richard Hunter CDs (more for a big gig)
RH singles (10 each)
5 copies of "Jazz Harp"
Extra person to sit at the table and sell stuff when I'm not available for table duty

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com