[Harp-L] Re: Audix FireBall

Sorry this is late, but it was being treated for logorrhea ;-).  One thing I
missed in the FireBall discussion was what I think is the fundamental physical
point--unless one has larger-than-average hands, I think you're going to have
trouble getting a truly good Chicago tone out of the FireBall, bass boost or
no bass boost, amp on 10 or not.  Charlie Musselwhite and Richard Hunter have
got big hands; I don't.  I can wrap up the head, just about, but there's no
room left inside the cup for depth between the harp and the mic, and the lower
edge of the mic ball where a lot of the bass sneaks in is wholly sealed off by
my fingers.  I can't compress the tone up front, and it changes little when I
open my hands; combine that with an element that really does resist distorting
at high spl, and ~in my hands~ it's lacking fundamental tonal components up
front, so that it doesn't matter what I play it through or how far I turn the
amp up or how well I play into the mic.  For potential buyers seeking a
reference point: if your hands (and harp playing) aren't big enough to make a
properly EQ'd SM58 or other largish-ball-type mic straight into the PA sound a lot
like a bullet mic through a proper tube amp (the way Musselwhite and James
Cotton and Kenny Neal have done for years), then I'd guess you've got small odds of
really making the FireBall produce a highly authentic Chicago tone.  Just my
opinion, mind you, but I didn't see anyone address that point explicitly, and
I think it's what potential buyers ought to consider in that issue.

Other thoughts on the Audix: The Shure AF95U inline transformer adds little
to the length of the FireBall when plugged in and offers Swithcraft-style
screw-on connection that a lot of us are already equipped for, or 1/4" connection
with the (supplied) standard Switchcraft screw-on adapter, though for me the
latter is starting to be a bit much leverage on the end of the mic.  I don't
mind having the Shure adapter because I'd been needing one anyway, but I expect
the Audix transformer will be both well-matched for impedance and cheaper than
the Shure.

The wand part of the FireBall V is much skinnier than usual and requires the
use of the mic clamp that Audix supplies with it, or a spring-loaded universal
Radio Shack-type clamp; it's too small for the usual SM58-sized clamps found
onstage.  Got that?  If you take the FireBall onstage to sing through or play
at, it ~ain't~ gonna stay put in the average mic clamp.  I keep a mic stand in
the car anyway and put the Audix clamp on it for vocal purposes.  I've
already finished jam sets by pulling the mic off the stand, rolling off its volume,
and doing a clean-toned instrumental.  It's really a useful mic in that regard
if you don't sing loudly, and I'm using a windscreen on it for vocals, may
help cut that plosive effect one poster mentioned.  Seems to resist distortion
of vocals to a ridiculous degree too.

I'll also second the effectiveness for blues chromatic that one poster
mentioned.  I think it's not unusual for experienced players to use a somewhat
cleaner sound for blues chromatic, or to wish they had a cleaner sound available
sometimes, and the full-bodied clarity the FireBall V brings to chromatic
through a good amp means I would use it for that when I wouldn't use it for
diatonic.  I can't use hand effects much with chromatics anyway, so I don't miss them
there.

I'm quite happy with my FireBall V so far--it is expanding what I can do
musically, and it wasn't ~that~ expensive.  It immediately won a place in my gig
box.  If one can only have a single microphone to do absolutely everything, it
probably still ought to be something like a Shure SM57 & transformer or 545S;
but if you already have a good bullet mic, then get a FireBall V and you have
a whole lot of options covered.  This is a musical tool I wish I'd had all
along.

Stephen Schneider