Re: [Harp-L] Entertainment

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Murray" <dlmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 10:06 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Entertainment

If you get up in front of an audience and play some complex jazz or classical music, it is a given that they expect you to be able to play it well. The fact that it isn't supposed to be possible to play it on a diatonic harp and took you years in the woodshed to accomplish it means nothing to all but a few of them. If they come back to hear you a second time, or tell their friends that "you've just got to go hear ...", they were moved and entertained, not just impressed.

I once thought that playing chromatic harmonica and accompanying myself on guitar would impress audiences. No way. First, not one in 100 knows the difference between a diatonic and chromatic harmonica or that a chromatic normally has a button. The stunt value of bending/overblowing or hands-free-chromatic goes right past 'em. At first I tried to explain it but got only blank stares. On very rare occasions, a chromatic harmonica player will ask "How did you do that?" You are correct that the music and the entertainment value must carry the performance.

IMO, you must have vocals more than 50% of the program. All instrumentals, no matter how good, will have them yawning and heading for the door.

Vern