[Harp-L] Entertainment/ Muse (not exactly harp content...)

I guess this is about following your muse. For me, adding vocals to my  music
"waters it down". Maybe this is because my muse would rather hear pure
melody, rather than melody bastardized with lyrics. The vast majority of  classical
music, jazz and fusion work this way.

All I'm saying is, if your muse requires a singer, so be it. But don't
homogenize your music just because you are afraid to take a chance and be  yourself.

As far as the visual aspect of things, there are ALOT of things you can do
on stage other than sing that will entertain and engage your audience.

Speaking from personal experience, my work with The Boston Modern Orchestra
Project, Hypaspace and The Back Bay Guitar Trio has gone over better live than
 any other project I've ever been in where there is singing going on. But
that's just me.

I think the audience can sense insincerity and if you add singing (or
anything else) because you think they "need it" to "understand" your music, they
will be out the door quick.

BTW, I do make my living playing music and teaching, and I rarely include
singing in anything I do.

If you will be in the Boston area on 9/7 at Noon, come to Copley  Square and
hear my group play. The concert is put on by WCRB, and we won't be  singing
one note. Let's see if the audience "walks out"... LOL

-Steve
www.stevemarchena.com