  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: jevern@xxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 11:27 AM
  Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Entertainment

        Vern writes (Snipped):

        "You are correct that the music and
        the entertainment value must carry the performance.

        IMO, you must have vocals more than 50% of the program.  All instrumentals,
        no matter how good, will have them yawning and heading for the door.

        Vern"

        ...and this isn't to pick on you, Vern...and isn't particularly harmonica related, but your last statement is so alien to my experiences as someone who regularly attends instrumental performances, I can't help but comment.   One of my favorite people to see in Concert is Jazz guitarist Peter White...who stops by my area once or twice a year....I just saw him in July on his 'Guitars and Saxes' tour with 3 other top instrumentalists (Gerald Albright, Richard Elliot and Jeff Golub), but I usually go to see Peter when he's touring with his backup band and a guest saxophonist.  There are practically no vocals during the show...just an occasional sing-along from the audience when they cover a well-known song...and usually one song covered by a vocalist.  From this last show, their back-up bassist did "Papa was a Rolling Stone" to great reaction from the audience.   Peter writes new instrumentals that simply don't have vocals.....so what is it that keeps HIS audiences coming back...for two full shows a night...and packing the venue months in advance?  The total musicality of it...the wonderful performance he puts on...and how incredibly good a guitarist he is.  He "sings" through his guitar and his body...and the audience is mesmerized.  I don't care if there's no actual singing....if the music is beautiful enough, so I have to disagree with that much of your post...not a single audience member has ever "yawned and headed for the door"....as a matter of fact they're lined up afterwards for a good hour+  waiting to talk to Peter, buy his CD's (I have everything he's ever recorded) and chat with him while taking photos.

        Now as for Jason Ricci's shows...I thoroughly enjoy when HE sings...because I love his voice....and I wish he'd do more...so I do love vocals from those who can combine the two, but it isn't necessary if the performer doesn't sing, and is a good enough instrumentalist to hold his/her audience.

        Elizabeth