Re: [Harp-L] Entertainment/ Muse (not exactly harp content...)

On Aug 28, 2006, at 9:02 PM, Slidelicks@xxxxxxx wrote:

It is true that the voice was probably the first instrument... that doesn't
change the fact that in today's society that one instrument commercializes and
homogenizes music more than any other.

You really think so? I think herd mentality homogenizes music more than anything else. One artist, or a hand full of artists, come up with a sound that resonates with people and sell records. The next thing you know every record company executive in creation is working on developing bands that do the same thing.

Gary, I'd love to jam sometime, but 9/7 wouldn't be the best time.

It was me, Bob, not Gary, that quipped about jamming. Of course I knew that 9/7 was an inopportune time to jam. I was, in my own nerdy way, poking fun of the sitting-in thread. Though in truth, I'm not one to talk. There are always a few harps in my pocket and a secret ambition to sit in with big names. Fortunately, when I was less accomplished, I was too shy to really follow through. And now that I can hold my own, I've got enough wisdom to keep my ambitions to myself when I go out to listen. As was oft stated, listening to masters ply their craft is a joy to be savored every bit as much as playing with them. BUT I am just a bit south of the Boston and am always looking for good musicians with whom to play. :-)

Bob Cohen