[Harp-L] Entertainment, Chris M and Dave Murray

Chris M and Dave Murray said it well. The showmanship is what counts. Years
ago I went to a concert (I believe it was Jim Croce) and the singer walked
up, set down a reel-to-reel pushed play and accompanied it with a guitar and
vocals. Did he play well? Yes. Did he sing well? Yes. Did I feel enormously
ripped off? Yes!

Another example, the Rolling Stones. A bunch of old guys who haven't written
a decent song in almost 30 years, but they still fill a stadium. With a good
percentage of kids young enough to be their GRAND KIDS! And at their best,
they were hardly virtuosos. So why? They put on a good show, with a lot of
energy. They entertain.

As far as vocal versus instrumental; my experience is that it does matter
what people expect walking in, regardless of the celebrity of the
player/group.
It comes down to this: I would be willing to wager that, currently, vocal
styles far out gross non-vocal styles. Even when you get to the level of
Yo-Yo Ma.
How much money do the Stones make on a tour compared to the Yo-Yo Ma?

Harmonica content:
Chicago style, you expect some movement. Piedmont style, you don't.