Re: [Harp-L] Dressing like a musician

Various Events, Various styles of dress....

1. My "Bread & Butter" performances:
These shows cater to a group of folks between the ages of 60 and 85, mostly non-musicians, with very few harmonica players in sight. Attendees pay a modest fee for tickets at local community centers, theaters, and RV parks to see a performance lasting between 45 and 90 minutes (usually determined in advance by the venue) that takes them on a musical journey. Some events stress a country theme, some smooth jazz and standards, and, most commonly, a mix of genres that caters to a fairly wide range of musical tastes. Unless it's a strictly country gig, I dress in dark slacks and dark dress shirt (with or without necktie), and a quality pair of wingtip shoes. Sometimes a black Henley shirt replaces the dress shirt. These folks pay for a show and dress is an important component along with song selection, narration, and quality musical presentation.

2. Music Festivals:
In addition to my musical ventures Sandra and I create and sell awesome tie-dye apparel (Sizes 0-3 months to 6X) at festivals and fairs throughout the west. I perform at most of these events as either a solo act or a guest/backup musician with other groups. I try act as a walking billboard of our best examples of EnRituals® "Wearable Art" whenever I perform at these events. The music income at such events is almost always secondary to the money earned selling our merchandise.

Like it or not our apparel at shows becomes a lasting part of our "image". When someone says "Madcat" I see tie-dye and "Iceman" immediately brings to mind a black shirt and white tie.

I flew to Nashville a couple of years ago to play TurboHarps at the NAMM show. The owner of the company, whom I'd never met in person, had a hard time believing that I was the guy he hired until I put on the hat that I wore for the photos in my publicity packages.

I also learned the hard way that really outrageous costumes don't help a thing. (For a few years in the 80's I tried to dress like a white version of Con-Funk-Shun)

PS. Please play the four songs at: http://www.ubl.com/artists/denniscooperharmonica . It helps my chart position. (Currently #14 in the top-100, #4 Country, and #1 jazz)

--
Best Regards,
Dennis M. Cooper

"Practice hard, play well, and entertain the audience"