RE: [Harp-L] Dressing like a musician

 Consider your audience. If they will be in jeans and T-shirts, then you
could wear jeans and a shirt with a collar. If they are wearing
dress-casual clothes such as khakis and oxford shirts, then you should
wear nothing made of jersey knit or denim. If they are in suits, then
you should at least be in dress pants with a dress-style shirt and
appropriate shoes, if not a tie as well. The idea is to stand out from
the audience, but not to either extreme. You wouldn't want to dress like
Mack Daddy Purple Pimp if you were on stage at the Irish Music festival.
Nor would you wear boot-cuts and a Skynyrd shirt to play at a
high-profile corporate Christmas party. The guideline I try to follow is
based on three clothing styles I dubbed: Dress, Sport Casual and Jeans.
I try to wear clothing which is one level higher than the people in the
audience. I want to stand out, but do not want to be perceived as fake,
or in some situations, a snob.
Unfortunately, comfort and acceptable appearance do not always go
hand-in-hand. But your appearance may leave a lasting impression on an
audience, and convey to them your devotion to, and the professionalism
associated with your art form. In the case of a Jazz player in shorts:
(NOT anyone in particular!) If the owner of a new prestigious restaurant
was scouting for a Jazz band to play his grand opening, would he be more
likely to select a band which he saw performing repeatedly in shorts, or
tuxedos? I know there are exceptions to every rule. But I believe the
point is valid.

Related anecdote:
When Little Charlie and the Nightcats came to town a few months ago, I
wore one of my gig outfits to the show. It was a black shirt with two
wide cream-colored bands on the front, like an old bowling shirt. That
shirt, with a kickin' pair of black dress pants and spit-shined shoes
was a little overboard for a mere audience member, but hey, I was going
to meet Rick Estrin; the Godfather of Harp Coolness. If you're going to
look sharp for anyone, Rick would be the one.
Anyway, during the breaks I was talking to Rick, and (drunk) people were
coming up to us left and right, shaking our hands, telling us what a
great job we were doing! Rick started laughing after about three people
did this, and told me: "You should give them your autograph! Tomorrow
they'll look at it and be like: Who the hell...?"
I got one of "our fans" to get a picture of me and Rick with my camera.
I love that picture. Not so much for the "look at me with Rick Estrin"
factor, but because of the story behind it. That always makes me smile.
That was the night I really realized what dressing the part was all
about.

Rick Estrin gave me some good advice on dressing for a gig: "There
should never be any question as to who's the band and who's the fan."

John Balding