Re: Re: [Harp-L] dressing as a musician

icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I feel that 'respect' is one of the most important aspects; getting it from
> others and showing that you have it for yourself.

there are many ways to do this besides dressing according to someone else's preferences.

> Personally, I'm turned off by the 'egocentricattitude' of those musicians that
> are excellent players and choose to dress down or dress sloppily,

you and my mom would get along great.  she's been trying to dress me up for decades.

> in a sense (IMO)
> trying to -prove- that they are soo cool and talented that they can dress just how
> they please, no matter how shoddy or tattered.

you're imputing motives to someone else's choice of garb.  it's just possible that they
may have other reasons for their choice.  including that it's just not that important to them,
or that they impart no significance to it.

> I much prefer the 'classyattitude' of someone like a Tony Bennet, who is actually
> a very nice and humble gentleman with TREMENDOUS talent that, because of his
> vibes, is a RespectMagnet from all who experience him.
>
> ah well, to each his own.

maybe it's a generational thing.  tony bennet, with his "classytude" and apparel and the rest,
is certainly of a different era.  warren haynes represents perhaps a different manifestation of
"classy".  quiet, understated, elegant.  even if he's wearing jeans and a t-shirt.  his actions,
attitude, and talent speak louder than his clothing.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.