Re: [Harp-L] Blow Choking on a Special 20

When you say 'ascending', Tony, I am forced to assume that you mean it
doesn't happen when you descend. We're talking about a simple glissando
from one end of the harp to the other, I take it? The first assumption
doesn't make much sense to me. Otherwise, as no doubt everyone else on
the list will tell you, it's a case of adjusting the reed gap between
the reed and the plate by judicious prising and stroking of the reed.
Standard setting is about a reeds thickness on the lower end,
diminishing towards the upper end. The ultimate test is what works for
you, as the breath-pressure of playing varies from one individual to
another.
Hope I'm not assuming you know less than you do already. I've had some
bad Spec.20s of late, notably draw 2 making the most awful squawk when
bent to the limit.
Cheers,
RD
Melbourne

>>> Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 31/08/2006 12:35 >>>
I have a Special 20 in the key of C that won't allow me to ascend it
quickly without choking. To start on the 1 hole blow and rise quickly
the 6 hole blow, with anything but light pressure and volume, results
in
choking of the intermediate notes. It doesn't sound crescendo like at
all.
I have another, or in fact several other Special 20's in C, new ones,
but
this one is unique. Is this a common symptom, or at least one I can
expect
over time? Why does it happen?
Reg
Tony Renshaw