Re: [Harp-L] Professional/Gigging Survey

Sorry I got in on this thread after it died. Hey, I been busy.

1970's: First I started off with just a small, cheap vinyl Doctor's bag and some harps A,Bb,C,D,E,F,G.

1980'/90's: Later I bought a mic (JT30) and went through the "used vintage suitcase/trumpet case/sax case" phases, but I got sick of propping open the undetachable lids and the general mess.

2003: I started a band 3 years ago and got into gear more. I bought a cheap tool case with faux aluminum sides at Menards, It lasted for a very short time and I got so frustrated with it I took it out back and stomped it to pieces. I took a look at one of those Mississippi Sax cases Fender makes but from what I saw I'd probably end stomping one of those too, so I didn't buy it.

Now I have a 16"x6"x20" Road Ready brand anvil style case (manuf. built for use for a small PA board) with removable lid. It is one of the best investments in gear I ever made. I customized it using pick foam and 1/8" masonite. Its sectioned off to hold 7 harps and a back-up set of each stored vertically in pick foam. I can store a delay pedal, a mini eq pedal, power cords for each, a Shure 533, A CM or CR bullet, and a JT30 with no problem. I keep a small mini flashlight in there too. I mount the case to a small but sturdy and stable PA stand I bought at Guitar Center (anything mounted to a spindly mic stand is worthless to me).

I also carry a 16" x8" duffle bag with (2) 20' cords, a small bag with patch cords for effects/EQ pedals, a Harp Commander with power cord, Spare tubes and fuse for my amp, mini-multi screwdriver, spare harps (usually a B and a low key of some kind), a Shure SM57 to mic the amp, a Shure SM58 mic for vocals, and a roll of black gaffer's tape.

I don't bring harp repair tools because I bring spare harps and don't have time to fix harps on site.

-------------- Original message from "Matt Smart" <matthewsmart@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------