Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci at SPAH

I remember taking a breather in the lobby and seeing Robert come
running out to take care of something apparently urgent, and when he
looked at me in passing his expression seemed to say, "You're crazy to
be out here! Why aren't you in there digging this - it's amazing!"

Thing is, Jason plays every note he plays by intention, never as a
casualty of speed or any other reason. Each note is individually
intended, individually sculpted, and part of a much bigger pattern and
design. This is the sort of thinking - and skill - that someone like
Robert has acquired through years of study. SO has Jason, if by a
different path.

So if the training and work of a classical virtuoso like Robert
actulaly makes Jason's playing even more impressive to such a highly
cultivated ear, you have to know that Jason is up to something out of
the ordinary, and worthy of attention, even if the style is not what
you usually expect from blues diatonic and even if the volume level may
not be your cup of tea - do like Al Smith and get some decent earplugs.
It will be worth it..