Re: [Harp-L] Re: Tony "Little Sun" Glover

On Aug 31, 2006, at 9:12 PM, Richard Hunter wrote:

Joe Lempkowski wrote:
<Forty years later, reading his
<reviews of other harp players, he has no room to
<criticize the performance of others.  I never really
<understood what the fuss was about with this guy.

1. A music critic needs good ears and the ability to write well. Glover has both, whether he's a great player or not. Here's Glover's last sentence from a review of Chess's boxed Little Walter LP set, maybe three decades ago:
"Genius is a f---ed-over word these days, but Walter was one for sure.
What's more, he knows how to get you off."

Ok. you said the ability to write WELL. I see the sentences "Genius is a f---ed-over word these days, and "What's more, he knows how to get you off" to BOTH be rather crude in implication.

I write this from memory, and I can do so because those words are memorable. Like I said, Glover can write.

I thought his book was humorous with numerous attempts to sound cool. I don't know what the local jargon was like in the area he came from, but the writing corny. Stuff like 'Go now and blow thou'.... how corny

2. Glover's book "Blues Harp" taught a generation of young players the basics of blues harp, at precisely the moment when white America discovered en masse the roots music of black America. It may not have been the best book on playing harp ever written, but it was the right book at the right time, and it was good enough to do the job. It was a great inspiration to me, and it was the main reason I approached Oak Publications in 1976 to publish the book that eventually became "Jazz Harp," which may in fact be the best book about playing the harmonica ever written -- at least that's what Pete Pederson told me in 1981.

Who wrote 'Jazz Harp' ?

So Glover's made his mark on the world, and that's what the fuss is about.

Such a big mark, that when you research this guy, his name is always attached to the other two guys he's been associated with over the years. I agree with Mr Lempkowski. I don't have eyes for the fuss....
joseph leone (smo-joe)

Regards, Richard Hunter hunterharp.com