Re: Re: Re: [Harp-L] Differnt approach to Amps?

Chris Canning wrote:
> I was wondering if the 12AX7 tube channel on the Motion
> Sound KeyPro KT-80 would give me trouble of the feed back
> type? I think as it is designed for keys it would probably
> handle it fine. I believe also the Shaker MadCat has a lower
> impedence than many harp mics which will also lend it to this
> application. The down side to this is that I may not get much
> in the way of nice overdrive. With a tube channel would I
> still need a pre-amp? I still like the idea as you said of
> doing 'tonal contouring up front'. For those that are
> interested in the amp in question here is the link I should
> have put in my original message.

I can't really say how feedback-prone this setup might be.  I run my
preamp with the valve content dialed back a bit so I get some nice
compression but not heavy overdrive.  I just prefer my sound that
way, and it has the added benefit of being less prone to feedback.
It's hard to say how the tube circuitry will respond when it's
simply "on" or "off".  I wouldn't expect to need a separate preamp
with that.

Since the MadCat mic is an "in the hand" model, it might help with
feedback issues, in addition to the lower impedance.  Still, if
there's any way you can try out the setup before you make a
commitment, that's always beneficial.

I'm inclined to go with separates on these items (ART makes a nice
rack mounted tube preamp with "variable valved voicing"), but
there's certainly a lot to be said for having it in one package.
Please do keep us informed, as I, for one, would appreciate having a
smaller, self-contained rig for jams and parties.  That might be
just the ticket!

-tim