Re: [Harp-L] Folk Harp

Carter,  I'm a blues nut who's found himself playing with a "folkie".   In many cases, I am able to play very "bluesy" stuff over his "folk tunes".  In some cases, it really helps to have a strong grasp of 3rd position.  In some songs, I have to resort to very basic 1st. position stuff, and in a few, I simply don't play.  (sometimes voice and guitar is "enough")

  When I say "basic 1st pos." I think of the sound that Springsteen or Dylan or Neil Young get.  Their's is not a sound I particularly like, or enjoy, but In my opinion that sort of harmonica playing has a place (a history if you will) within the folk genre.  The good news is that it's relatively easy to play (IMHO).  I usually think of it as working off of the major scale.

  Another tact is to get your new playing partner to learn some blues while you learn folk.  Then you can both be happy.

  Dan G.
  www.jdbone.com
  .
     [Harp-L] Folk Harp   Posted by: "Carter castor" cjcastor@xxxxxxxxx   Tue Dec 5, 2006 9:27 am (PST)   I studied the harp for a couple years, learning songs, playing along
with cd's, but I haven't played much in the past year because I never
found someone to play with. Recently, however, I met a friend who
writes and plays folk music, and he wants to work together after I
improved behind him a little one night by playing chords and sustained
notes with a little riffing.

I've only really played along with blues before though, and I'm not
completely sure how to handle folk. I got Jon Gindick's Rockin' the
Folk, and that has helped, particularly his section on Oh Susanna, but
I was wondering whom would be some good folk harmonica players to
listen to and get ideas from. His style reminds me a lot of James
Taylor, but he seems to have a bit of emo influence in the vocals from
his rock band.

(I think this is also going to mean learning overblows, grrr, as I
like the sound of straight harp with his work, and he likes to use
minor keys).

Thanks for any help.
--
Carter